Monday, November 10, 2008

Experiments

Lately I've been doing some experimenting. About a month ago I decided to try a stop-motion video. I got down on the ground, anchored the camera to a book on the floor, switched my camera to consecutive shooting (3 frames per-second) and watched Ethan as he scooted backwards. The only thing is, my camera had to rest every once in a while, so there are little chunks of movement missing, but that's okay. It's 26 seconds- and you should watch closely in the background- you might see something fun.

He can crawl now. But it's still backwards. Can't get that transmission out of reverse.



And then I was thinking, I really like these pictures that Ross took of Ethan and me when we very first got home. But they're out of focus, and I look a mess. So I thought, what if I gave it the TTV (through the viewfinder) effect? Then it doesn't really matter if it's out of focus and I look crappy- it kind of goes along with the theme. I really wish I had a sweet-awesome old box camera so that this look was authentic, but I don't. I cheated and looked online to find out how to do it.


More experimenting to come I'm sure. Have a good day!

12 comments:

Brandon Fox said...

Those are great! I cant wait to learn from the master. by the way Lauren you married a complete dork.

rik said...

that sure is fun. that's one thing i love about the 40d...high rate bursts (6.5 fps!) if you shoot small or medium jpgs, you can get ridiculously long continuous bursts. did you see my halloween costume video? i went as a paparazzo. way too fun.

and while your husband may be a complete dork, he's a fantastic dancer. i'd keep him around for a while.

Lonna said...

I think that Ross has got some great moves. You better watch out when Ethan starts walking, well maybe he will dance first, then decide to tone it down a little and walk.

I like the video, and that you are always looking for a new and exciting thing to try with your camera skills.

I can't believe how big Ethan is getting. He is so cute, and I am sure that he is just as much fun.

Kathleen said...

Ross is a freak.

Ethan is adorable.

Lauren said...

@brandon: Well, at least he's not gay... zing!

http://bmichaelfox.blogspot.com/2008/10/pranked-cont.html

@rik: I did see your video-- pretty dang cool! I'm way jealous of your new camera.

thanks Kathleen and Lonna! (except for the Ross is a freak part Kathleen.:))

Shanicherie said...

That was so fun to watch! You're so talented, I wish we lived closer! Hey, I hope you don't mind...my mom asked me to send a couple of recent pictures of Ethan. Is that ok?

Emma said...

What is a good entry level SLR camera? What are your thoughts on the new Cannon XSI - we are really wanting better pictures of Haley.

mrs. farlanderz said...

lauren, that video is sheer awesomeness - inspiring for me!! (and perfect music choice with the shins...), I love you style.

fyi - your music list is pretty much identical to my ipod playlist, song of the moment for me (an ever changing thing...) - faultline and keane's version of goodbye yellow brick road, I think you might dig. - Helene

Emilyah said...

Ethan is so cute and... Ross has some sweet dance moves. haha.

emilie s. d. p. said...

I love the music you picked for the video, it's perfect. Ethan is so adorable and I like the way this captures his little baby movements.
Ross cracks me up!

Britany said...

what the weird ross? hahahaha.

the.kim.peterson said...

these experiments turned out most excellently.