Tuesday, October 19, 2010

What's been going on lately?

So, I have waited to post about this until I knew how big a part of our lives it would be. My dad recently (and thankfully) went in for a routine check-up and found out that he has colon cancer. He had surgery a couple of weeks ago and they removed part of his colon, and they also determined that he will need chemotherapy for the next 6 months. Yuck.

While this is not the easiest for him or us, I feel really blessed to be a part of my family that deals with life's challenges one step at a time and with a sense of humor. Many emails of love and support have been sent, and at the same time emails full of good-natured jokes with my dad being the 'butt' of them. (Get it? Well, my dad will.) Oh, and he's also 'cracking' many of his own jokes too.

Anyway, this is not going to be fun; I feel really bad that my dad will feel crappy for the next few months, but overall we are feeling very positive and moving forward.

p.s. I have a TON of pictures just waiting to be posted, so I'll get on that soon.

7 comments:

Susan said...

So sorry to hear that. Hope everything goes well!

Kathleen said...

I like the butt jokes! I'm sorry that you all have to go through that! I'll keep your family in my prayers!!!

Emma said...

Wow. You have such an amazing family, and your Dad is great for being so positive when going through something this challenging. Hang in there.

The Cunninghams said...

Can't wait to see the pictures! We'll be thinking about you guys lots over the next few months.

Mikel said...

I'm so sorry!! We'll be praying for your dad and your whole family.

Carrie said...

While that's never the type of news you like to get, it sounds like you all have such great attitudes. I especially love your puns. Thinking of you!

Ben and Nicole said...

Boo! I'll be praying for him. Double boo. This stinks.